Steel in the News
Back to all posts
Posted by Tasha Weiss on July 23, 2012 at 4:01 PM.
The 22nd International Conference on Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology (SMiRT-22), which will be held on August 18-23, 2013 in San Francisco, has announced its call for papers. Abstracts must be submitted by September 17, 2012.
The events at Fukushima Daiichi have triggered a mandate for an assessment of safety and reliability for all nuclear power plants. Plant safety and reliability assessment for “beyond design” events, both in the U.S. and Europe, will be required in the coming years. This will include all operating plants as well as those already under licensing, design and construction. The key input for such evaluations is the seismic hazard and associated risk assessment. Consequently, SMiRT-22 has adopted the theme of Safety and Reliability as the focal point for the technical program.
Papers are solicited in the following conference topics:
- Mechanics of materials
- Fracture mechanics and structural integrity
- Applied computation, simulation and animation
- Characterization of loads
- Modeling, testing and response analysis of structures, systems and components
- Design and construction issues
- Safety, reliability, risk and margins
- Issues related to operations, inspection and maintenance
- Fuel-cycle facilities, waste management and decommissioning
- Challenges of new reactors
SMiRT-22 is being organized and hosted by the International Association for Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology (IASMiRT), The American Association for Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology (AASMiRT) and Bechtel Power Corporation. For more information about the conference, visit www.smirt22.org.