Steel in the News
Back to all posts
Posted by Tasha Weiss on September 19, 2011 at 10:47 AM.
The structural steel industry’s third annual SteelDay is this Friday, September 23 — have you made your plans yet? If you haven’t registered for an event, there’s still time! Visit www.SteelDay.org/Events to find and register for a free event in your area. This year’s national event is expected to be celebrated at more than 200 locations around the country and, once again, offers plenty of opportunities to interact, learn and build.
Here is what you can expect to see at some of this year’s events:
- Steel Making and Recycling: Visit a steel mill and discover how steel is produced and recycled.
- HSS Producers: See the machinery and processes used to manufacture hollow structural sections (HSS) out of steel coil and learn about the differences between HSS and TS (tube shape) or HSS and pipe.
- Steel Service Centers: Learn how and why steel is always available by visiting a steel service center.
- Steel Fabrication: Witness the heart of the structural steel supply chain by visiting a steel fabricator and learn how off-site, controlled conditions and advanced computer numerical control (CNC) machinery ensure a consistently high-quality product and reduce or eliminate errors at the job site.
- Steel Installation: Learn about the steel assembly process - and in some event locations, even try out - the specialized equipment ironworkers use.
Special events will also be held in major metropolitan areas such as New York City, Chicago, Washington, D.C. and others.
For example, in downtown Chicago, AISC invites industry professionals to attend a special networking lunch and educational event at the Thompson Center Plaza. Guests will have the opportunity to meet new Chicago Building Commissioner Michael Merchant, explore a pictorial display tracking the history of steel framed construction and take a self-guided tour of famous steel buildings in Chicago. AISC Vice President John Cross will also present on the role of structural steel in the growth of Chicago and the nation. The evening prior to SteelDay, AISC welcomes local structural engineers into its headquarters to meet with staff and attend a special continuing education seminar by AISC Vice President Charlie Carter, P.E., S.E., Ph.D. Carter will present on the great structural engineering insights of the late Kurt Gustafson. Following a nearly four-decade career as a respected structural engineer, Gustafson spent seven years as AISC’s Director of Technical Assistance before passing away in 2010. You can register for this and all events at www.SteelDay.org/Events.
Click here to watch a SteelDay video preview on YouTube that gives a taste of what you can expect to see at this year’s events.
After attending an event, share your SteelDay experience by submitting a video to AISC to be featured on the “SteelDay TV” channel on YouTube at www.youtube.com/SteelDaytv. You’ll also be entered into a drawing for a chance to win an iPad 2. For information go to www.SteelDay.org/mySteelDay.
For everything SteelDay, visit www.SteelDay.org.