Steel in the News
Back to all posts
Posted by Tasha Weiss on May 5, 2011 at 1:56 PM.
A panoramic view of the Forth Bridges viewed from the south bank of the Firth of the Forth. On the right is the Forth Railway Bridge, Great Britain’s first steel bridge when it opened in 1890. It’s located east of the newer road bridge.
After 18 months of tenders bidding to design and construct the new Forth Road Bridge, a large transportation bridge in Scotland that spans the Firth of Forth, connecting the southeast capital city Edinburgh to the heavily populated area of Fife in the northeast, Forth Crossing Bridge Constructors (FCBC) has been awarded the main contract for the 2.7 km bridge replacement. The FCBC joint venture includes AISC member American Bridge, HOCHTIEF, Dragados, and Morrison Construction. The contract is valued at $1.3 billion.
A major bridge crossing two ocean shipping and military navigation channels represents the main part of the contract and includes a cable stay structure of 2,020m (the world’s second longest). The two main navigation spans are 650m each (the world’s sixth longest). The bridge has 14 spans, two planes of stay cables that anchor in the center of the structure, and a composite steel tub/concrete deck superstructure. The cable stay bridge superstructure will be erected mainly by deck mounted gantries; the south approach viaduct will be launched from land, and the north viaduct will be pushed from the water. Construction will begin in 2011 and finish in 2016.
More information about the history of the Forth Road Bridge can be found on Wikipedia, here.